You just got the word. You’re being transferred to the Chicago office. You and your family currently live in a suburb in another state, and you want to maintain that suburban lifestyle for your family. How do you decide which Chicago suburb is the right one for you?
At The Mittelstaedt Team, we encourage our relocation clients to consider a variety of factors, first determining which factors are important to them and then ranking those factors by importance.
First let’s talk about proximity. Proximity to what? Well, it depends on what matters to you.
- Considering a mid-point that minimizes commute time for both you and your spouse, if you’re married and both work, could save you both a lot of time in the future.
- If you have friends and family in the area, you may want to choose a city or town that’s near them, or maybe not too close!
- Do you like the activities and culture available in Chicago? Consider the time and distance it takes to get from various locations to the city.
- Do you travel a lot for business? Then being able to get to an airport quickly and easily may rank high on your list.
Other factors to consider and rank include:
- School rankings.
Once you determine and rank the factors that are important to you, it’s time to start your research. Choose a few towns that meet your proximity needs. Then begin to find out more information about the other factors that matter to you. Besides internet research, also check in with The Mittelstaedt Team. We have a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips and experienced agents who are invested in the local community.
You may want to gather some of the following information:
- How are schools ranked on national educational ranking systems? Will your children have access to the activities (like sports, music and art) that they are involved in?
- What’s the cost of living in the towns you are considering? How do the real estate prices compare? What are the property taxes?
- What are the crime rates and statistics for areas you are considering?
Remember, choosing a place to settle down is about more than logistics. Take your research beyond schools, commutes and affordability. Are there restaurants nearby that look interesting? What kind of culture and entertainment are available in town or nearby? Is the downtown active? Check out city and town websites and social media not just to learn about the amenities available but also to get a feel for the town.
Once you’ve narrowed your choices down to two or three suburbs, it’s time to take a trip. Make a call to your real estate agent. In addition to neighborhoods and homes, ask to see the schools, library, downtown area or any other features of a town that are important to you. To learn more about Chicago suburbs and to find the perfect house for you and your family, contact The Mittelstaedt Team today.