Learning to properly care for your home does more than just save money short-term and give you a more pleasant place to live: it preserves the value of your home, increasing the price you can get when it’s time to sell or refinance.
Preventing Plumbing Problems
Plumbing problems can prove expensive and damaging. Avoiding issues with your plumbing system does more than save you money, time and frustration. It also helps increase the value of your home over time. Our friend Jason Kapus of Aquaduct Plumbing Services shared tips on how to prevent plumbing problems by properly maintaining your plumbing systems.
- After you close on a new home, have a licensed plumber inspect your plumbing systems and provide you with a maintenance and improvement plan. The plumber will check out of sight, out of mind plumbing systems like your sewer, water heater and water quality. It’s also a good idea to get a thorough plumbing inspection prior to moving forward with a contractor for a remodeling job that involves plumbing.
- To increase the life expectancy of your water heater, drain down the water annually.
- Have a plumber annually check that your sump pumps and battery back-up systems are in working order.
- If you have any irrigation systems, be sure that the RPZ (reduced pressure zone) is stored properly prior to winter and then restarted and tested prior to spring. Some municipalities require submitted records of this work.
- Bleach down your drains once every six months to kill bacteria, keeping pipes clear. If pipes are running slowly, pour bleach down about once every two weeks until it clears, then once per month, eventually reducing to once every six months. Use about a half-gallon to a gallon of bleach, two parts water, one part bleach.
- Do your research before hiring a plumber by looking at the plumber’s ratings and website. Read testimonials. Confirm that any plumber you work with is licensed, insured and bonded and carries credentials from the state of Illinois
The Mittelstaedt Team would like to congratulate Jason and his Aquaduct Plumbing Services team on being voted one of the 25 best plumbing companies in the Chicagoland area! Knowing Jason, this rating is no surprise to us, especially for a company whose owner says “We believe in doing it right the first time with nothing but the best in customer service.” Aquaduct Plumbing Services, a Better Business Bureau A+ rated family-owned business founded by Jason in 2006, provides plumbing services and repairs and plumbing work associated with remodeling projects for residential and commercial customers. All plumbers are licensed, insured, bonded and union trained.
Aquaduct Plumbing Services Blog
Our Home Value Preservation section is just for you! What advice or tips can we provide for you? Please email us with your ideas. Our goal is to help homeowners enjoy their homes while preserving their home’s value.