Learning to properly care for your home does more than just save money short-term and give you a more pleasant place to live: it preserves the value of your home, increasing the price you can get when it’s time to sell or refinance.
Lint Rollers, Lemons and More Surprising Spring Cleaning Tools
- After a while, washing machines can get stinky. Fill your washing machine with hot water. Add white vinegar (front loading: 1/4 cup, top loading: 3 to 4 cups) and baking soda (front loading: 4 tablespoons, top loading 1/2 cup). Let sit for 30 to 60 minutes. Restart the machine. Let it drain. Wipe dry.
- Fresh baked cookies can smell like burnt pizza once the oven gets too dirty. To clean, chip off baked-on food. Spray ammonia on burnt-on pieces. Add a few drops of vinegar and baking soda on the bottom of the oven. Once it bubbles up, clean with a sponge.
- Microwaves get dirty fast, but believe it or not, they are very easy to clean. Put 1 cup of water, a chopped up citrus fruit and several tablespoons of vinegar in a bowl. Run for a few minutes. Keep door closed for 15 minutes. Wipe out.
- Use your vacuum’s crevice tool to clean crumbs out of your toaster and knife block quickly. This tool can also remove lint from hard-to-reach areas in your dryer.
- Cleaning cloths seem to simply add dust to lamp shades. Your lint roller removes dust quickly and easily.
- Sprinkle salt or baking soda on your cutting board. Rub with lemon to remove stains.
- Toss throw pillows and window coverings into the dryer on air-only to remove dust.
- The dishwasher can clean more than just dishes! Use it to clean glass globes from light fixtures, toothbrush holders and dishwasher-safe toys.
Now that you have some new spring cleaning tips, you may be trying to figure out how you can fit more cleaning into your already busy schedule. With jobs, kids and other commitments, making time for regular house cleaning is hard enough. Finding a good cleaning service is typically a challenge, which is why we consider ourselves so fortunate to have discovered Diane’s Cleaning Service.
For the past 15 years, we’ve enjoyed a fresh, clean home thanks to Diane’s top-notch cleaning techniques and her dedication to meeting our needs. Diane always goes above and beyond for us and for our clients. We are truly grateful and pleased every time we walk into our clean, fresh-smelling home after Diane has been there.
In addition to regular cleaning service, Diane does spring cleaning and cleans for move-ins and move-outs, both inside and outside.
Our Home Value Preservation section is just for you! What advice or tips can we provide for you? Please email us with your ideas. Our goal is to help homeowners enjoy their homes while preserving their home’s value.